A glimpse into my world of food

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pasta Series: Carbonara

I love pasta. I can eat pasta every day and not get sick of it. Sadly I haven't been to Italy yet but restaurants in Japan serve some bad ass pasta dishes. There's even a chain pasta restaurant that serves good Japaneseified pasta (Goemon) We love noodles and we love them al dente, so it's no surprise that Japanese cooks/chefs can make good pasta. I hate it when I see people picking at their pasta because I chow mine down to prevent it from getting soggy (just like when we Japanese eat ramen).
Carbonara is one of those meals I cook when I don't have anything in the fridge because I'll usually have pancetta, some sort of granular cheese, and of course, pasta!

Carbonara:

1. Boil water for the pasta. Add enough salt so that it tastes almost like sea water.
2. Start cooking the pasta and meanwhile...render some pancetta slices in extra virgin olive oil and add a splash of white wine. Let it reduce then take off the heat.
3. Mix an egg with an egg yolk and add the desired amount of grated parmigiano or pecorino and a touch of heavy cream (traditionally there's no cream but I like to add just a bit).
4. When the pasta is done, drain it well and turn the heat back on. Toss the pasta in the pancetta and egg mixture. Toss until heated through. Taste and season with salt and lots of black pepper!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home